Senior Backend Developer
Senior Backend Developer
Survey 160 seeks a Senior Backend Developer to be a cornerstone member of our small but growing team. Survey 160 is a research company that builds and uses proprietary software to conduct live interviewer SMS surveys on elections, public policy, and other topics. The Senior Backend Developer contribute technically to our engineering team to build new features for a well-designed, robust, scalable platform, as well as prioritize potential product improvements and processes. Through this work, you will help Survey 160 achieve its mission of providing accurate and actionable public opinion research at affordable costs to Democratic, progressive and non-profit clients. This role is ideal for someone with experience and/or interest in software development and who is passionate about tech, software development and advancing progressive values. Candidates of color, women and non-binary candidates, and LGBTQ candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
- Contribute to backend development in collaboration with engineering team
- Help manage developer team using agile development process, including writing and prioritizing tickets and working with other team members to track progress and timelines
- Write, test, debug, integrate and ship high-quality, well-documented code, both your own and others’
- Create and promote clear documentation
- Investigate and respond to customer issues related to the technical stack
- Experience in backend development on a Python REST framework for a production server, preferably Flask or Django
- Experience managing development projects, including issue tracking, time estimation, creation of requirements documents, and management of a development team.
- Experience with integrating relational databases with web software
- Excellent problem-solving, critical thinking & communication skills
- Be self-motivated and work well remotely (don't we all now?)
- Believe in building an inclusive community with and for your coworkers
- Familiarity with specific elements of our tech stack, including a Python/Flask API, React JS frontend, PostgreSQL database hosted on Google Cloud Platform, and text messaging APIs (e.g. Twilio)
- Understand how microservices run together on cloud technologies/SaaS (e.g., GCP, AWS, Azure)
- Knowledge of software design patterns, particularly relating to large scale web applications
- Familiarity with modern DevOps protocols
- Experience working collaboratively with teams of engineers and other key stakeholders
- Experience with Agile project management techniques
The salary for this position is $90,000 - $120,000, depending on experience.
You're a great problem solver who takes pride in your work and in making a difference? This is a chance to gain experience building for scale and seeing impactful work in production. Please contact Kevin Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Survey 160 recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. Survey 160 celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.