Staff Engineer: AI and Scientific Computing
Swayable is a fast-growing cloud data product that doubles the impact of advertising by empirically measuring how it changes people's opinions. Our customers include Amazon, Paramount Pictures, MIT, Stanford, the Biden-Harris presidential campaign, and multiple state authorities fighting COVID. We were founded in 2018 by two physics PhDs and are backed by leading technology and social impact investors, including Y Combinator. This position is the perfect opportunity to join a fast-moving, high-impact, mission-oriented startup.
About the Role
Swayable is seeking a Staff Engineer with deep expertise in AI, ML, and scientific computing to advance the state of the art analytics engine that powers our core product. In this role, you will be the architect and technical lead for a team that productizes all AI, machine learning, and data analysis at Swayable. You will be responsible for building, maintaining, and continuously improving our tools, techniques, and architecture for high-performance computing. You will mentor a talented and diverse team of engineers and data scientists. You will also work closely with a cross-functional team to build new features and solve novel problems across the spectrum of software engineering, data visualization, and science.
The Staff Engineer will report to our CTO, Valerie Coffman.
- You have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Applied Math, Engineering, or Science.
- You have 8+ years of professional experience building scientific or quantitative data-intensive software.
- You have deep expertise in Python, the scientific Python stack, vectorized code, and machine learning.
- You have excellent problem solving skills and attention to detail.
- You have expertise in architecting, maintaining, and optimizing distributed, parallel computing systems.
- You have deep knowledge of the constantly evolving toolset for ML and AI Ops.
- You are an expert in software architecture and can design scalable, performant solutions.
- You value code quality and write maintainable, testable code.
- You have an advanced degree (MSc or Ph.D.) in STEM.
- You have a thorough knowledge of the Linux operating system.
- You have experience with Celery, Flask, and MongoDB.
- You believe in the scientific method and use data to drive decisions.
- You can give and receive informed, actionable feedback on technical and non-technical skills.
- You are experienced at mentoring junior engineers.
- You are a strong communicator, especially in text. You can write documentation and discuss the tradeoffs of different implementations.
In order to give your application the fullest consideration, we kindly ask that all candidates submit a sample of their work (e.g. a link to a public code repository) alongside their other application materials. This gives us a clear understanding of your capabilities. Please ensure the work sample reflects the skills and qualifications relevant to this role.
Our team is centered in NYC and SF, with flexible work arrangements for remote work.
We offer a benefits package that is well above-market. Swayable covers 100% of the health, dental, and vision insurance premiums for full-time employees. We also offer generous PTO, parental leave, equity, 401k, FSA, and an ongoing professional development stipend.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We strive to promote an organizational environment that values diversity and fosters growth. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other basis prohibited by law. The team especially encourages applicants from underrepresented backgrounds.