What is Universe?
Universe is an all-in-one political campaign platform built for local progressive and Democratic campaigns, non-profits, unions, and first-time candidates.
Campaign tech is fragmented, expensive, and made for large organizations with dedicated IT teams. Universe is designed to give under-served organizations access to all of the modern tooling needed to run an effective race – without requiring a large budget, or an in-house tech team.
To do this, we’re working with the best organizers and organizational partners in the industry who share our vision of a strong, progressive grassroots.
Our focus now is on expanding Universe’s services across the country to connect every progressive organizer with the tools they need to run a successful campaign – and we need your help!
What you will do here–
You will help architect the future of Universe’s technology platform, and be responsible for building complex, and scalable systems from the ground up. You will design, develop, and ship features in collaboration with cross-functional partners to ensure we deliver on our organizational scale and impact goals. And, most importantly, you will mentor other developers to cultivate a healthy, happy, and world-class engineering team.
- Design, develop, and deploy well-reasoned solutions that can handle high request volumes with high reliability and low latency
- Challenge the status quo, identify opportunities for improvement, investigate alternative approaches, and usher the solution into production
- Collaborate with the product team to align goals, set priorities, and develop product requirements against measurable business objectives
- Drive change through leadership on the engineering team, help guide the development process, and elevate our internal software standards
- Envision new functionality, create detailed documentation, and decide on tradeoffs between technical designs and approaches
- Lead and deliver on large, complex initiatives involving cross-functional teams, SRE, quality engineering, documentation, and testing infrastructure
- Enable measurable and sustainable gains in business metrics, build dashboards for monitoring performance and real-time tracking
- Maintain CI/CD tools to support system integration, testing, and deployment
- Proactively identify technical issues that arise and follow up with root-cause analysis and resolution
- Mentor other engineers, review code, support continuous improvement, and coach through OKRs to create a world-class engineering team
- Nurture a culture where intelligent risks are encouraged and failure is viewed as an important learning opportunity
- 8+ years of experience in the technology industry
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with Electron apps, Google Cloud, and CloudFlare
- Ability to architect large-scale systems and low-level libraries from scratch
- Experience mentoring engineering teams and leading dev operations
- Strong product sense and cross-functional communication skills
- A learning mentality and the ability to pick up new skills quickly
Join Us If–
- You are dedicated to advancing progressive causes.
- You hold strong opinions weakly.
- You love helping others succeed.
- You are driven to find creative solutions to complex problems.
- You work well in small teams with a lot of responsibility.
What you’ll get in return–
- Build something that truly matters. We’re working towards a stronger progressive movement by empowering organizers at the local level.
- A remote-first workplace. All politics are local. Employees are encouraged to work in the community that is home: no commute required.
- Competitive salary, benefits, and stock options. Even in the early stages of company growth, everyone deserves fair and equitable compensation.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance, FSA and 401k options.
- A flexible schedule managed on your own terms. Your mental and physical health first. We can’t ignite change if we’re stuck in burnout.
- Discretionary time off – without guilt. People with unlimited PTO tend to take 2 days less. We ask everyone to take at least 20 days to recharge.
Send an email with “Principal Engineer” as the subject line to [email hidden] with your resume or CV and our team will be in touch!