Junior UI Designer
UNIVERSE is an all-in-one political campaign platform built for local progressive and Democratic campaigns, non-profits, and Unions. We are built in local campaign offices, for local organizers.
UNIVERSE is a “campaign-in-a-box” that includes the tools needed to run a campaign including volunteer management, phone banking, text banking, emailing, website builder, training tools, and soon, fundraising tools.
Why does this matter? Local campaigns are currently underfunded and nearly 70% of local elections are going uncontested across the country. Campaign tech has evolved to be fragmented, expensive, and built for large campaigns with dedicated IT teams. UNIVERSE is built exclusively for down-ballot campaigns, local organizations, and first-time candidates to give them access to all of the modern tooling they need to run their campaign – even without a large budget or an in-house tech team.
What you will do here
You will work with the UNIVERSE product team to create high fidelity user-interface designs for the UNIVERSE political outreach app, campaign training platform, and other upcoming products (70% of your time). Additionally you will create print and digital graphics and make website updates to support marketing, sales, and conference efforts as needed (30% of your time). Your position will be a mix of collaborative and individual work and will generally consist of collaboration and guidance from the Head of Product, upgrading wireframes to near pixel perfect designs, creating digital and print graphic design pieces, learning new skills and tools for product design, brainstorming of ideas for product changes, and requirement gathering from other teams.
- Engage in highly collaborative product and marketing brainstorming to develop the best visual treatments.
- Transform wireframes and partial designs into pixel-perfect mock-ups.
- Review the existing product and design product improvements.
- Infuse fun and game design into the product to improve user experience.
- Support marketing and customer support efforts by designing digital assets (social media images, ads, etc.) and print assets (conference materials, one-pagers, etc.)
- Assist in website and marketing design and help roll out updates.
- Bachelor’s Degree in UI Design, Graphic Design, Communication Design, or other relevant degree OR 2+ years of relevant professional experience plus below experience
- 1-3 years of proven experience as a UI Designer with a portfolio showcasing visually stunning designs
- Proficiency with Figma (or similar UI design platform with ability to learn quickly) and Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience in user-centered design, typography, and content hierarchy
- A learning mentality and the ability to pick up new skills quickly
- Additional Desired Skills (Not Required): Experience with WordPress or website editing, Elementor, Canva, and motion graphics software
Join Us If
- You are dedicated to advancing progressive causes
- You hold strong opinions weakly
- You love helping others succeed
- You are driven to find creative solutions to complex problems
- You work well in small teams with a lot of responsibility
What you’ll get in return
- Build something that truly matters. We’re working towards a stronger progressive movement by empowering organizers at the local level.
- A remote-first workplace. All politics are local. Employees are encouraged to work in the community that is home: no commute required.
- Competitive salary, benefits, and stock options. Even in the early stages of company growth, everyone deserves fair and equitable compensation.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance, FSA and 401k options & 401k matching.
- A flexible schedule managed on your own terms. Your mental and physical health first. We can’t ignite change if we’re stuck in burnout.
- Discretionary time off – without guilt. People with unlimited PTO tend to take 2 days less. We ask everyone to take at least 20 days to recharge.
Send an email to [email hidden] with the subject line “Junior UI Designer” and include:
- Your resume
- Your portfolio – as a link to a site, a PDF, or however you want to share your designs
- A short explainer – please tell us why this appeals to you in no more than 2 paragraphs