VP of Finance and Operations
BallotReady is searching for a VP of Finance and Ops, a critical leader and hands-on operator, to drive our financial strategy and operational management, deliver value by improving our unit economics and profitability, support our staff and develop scalable systems — and, as a result, join our team in working to mobilize people to take action at every level of government. This is an outstanding opportunity for a finance leader with operational experience to join a high-growth, mission-driven startup.
Who We Are
BallotReady is an award-winning company working to mobilize people to participate in democracy at every level of government. Our nonpartisan digital platform helps users register to vote, find their polling place, run for office, find their elected officials, and research their ballot, powered by the most comprehensive database for every level of government.
We’ve worked with organizations like Snapchat, TikTok, Spotify, and the NBA to inform and turn out over 35 million voters. Now, we’re gearing up for the 2024 presidential elections and working on tools to enable civic engagement all year, every year nationwide.
What You’ll Do
As the VP of Finance and Ops, you will be a key leader and hands-on operator, driving financial and operational management. Reporting directly to the COO, your responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing all financial functions, processes, and infrastructure, as well as supporting investor relations and capital allocation
- Serving as a member of the leadership team and driving strategic financial planning across the business, working in partnership with the executive team, department leaders, and board of directors to align the company on cross-functional goals, targets, and KPIs
- Spearheading the implementation of capital budgeting processes, driving operational efficiencies through financial analysis, and optimizing capital returns
- Developing and maintaining financial models to help drive value including financial planning & forecasting, product expansion, pricing models, and partnerships
- Partnering with the CEO on corporate finance, including venture capital fundraising, investor relations, and stakeholder management
- Collaborating with the sales department to optimize pipeline, vet major customer contracts, and maximize revenue-generating activities
- Monitoring overall financial health and overseeing the preparation of financial reporting materials and metrics; communicating monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements
- Owning financial compliance and audit activities; building and maintaining accounting policies and financial controls
- Administering financial tools and technologies, including financial reporting, billing systems, expense management, and equity management
- Overseeing benefits and payroll management provider, hiring and performance management systems, and stock administration and 409a valuations
- Partnering with the executive team to promote company-wide transparent communication and cross-team collaboration
Who You Are
To succeed in this job, you must excel at:
- Working with systems: building scalable processes and independently developing priorities to move operational needs forward; communicating complex decisions to staff; and creating a hiring and resource strategy
- Thriving under uncertainty: operating with ambiguity, continuing to adapt and revise existing plans with new information
- Managing staff operations: leading talent acquisition, overseeing performance management, supporting clear company communication, and managing payrolls and benefits administrator
- Operating from the ground level to 10,000 feet: pivoting from hands-on finance to strategic long-term planning, serving as a critical leader and hands-on operator
- Executing with excellence: self-motivated, organized, and accountable, with an ability to juggle multiple projects through to completion
A few items that are plusses, but not requirements for the job:
- Track-record of scaling revenues from $5M/$10M to $10M/$20M
- Experience working with institutional investors, including demonstrated successful fundraising outcomes
- Experience navigating cyclical industries and/or developing new business lines from existing assets
- Background in finance, accounting, or a related field with strong analytical, leadership, and communication skills
- An accounting designation and/or Masters’ degree in Accounting or Business Administration/Commerce, or equivalent business experience
What Else You Should Know
At BallotReady, we’re strong believers in flexibility in exchange for responsibility. We hire exceptional people who are excited about our mission and give them the freedom and leadership to act in support of constituents first. Our work is driven by our core values, which we encourage interested applicants to explore.
Annual Salary: The full salary band for VP and SVP roles is $139,400 - $211,900, a broad range to encompass the diverse backgrounds and skills of VP-level candidates, plus equity. Placement for most candidates will initially fall within the bottom half of the range and is determined by the hiring team based on experience and skills.*
*As part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion we give the best offer upfront according to the candidate's experience and skills and do not negotiate salary
- Monthly remote work stipend (for use towards home internet costs, coworking space access, home office furniture, etc.)
- Healthcare, dental, vision, disability, life insurance,
- 401k platform, FSA, commuter benefits
- Unlimited PTO
Location and hours:
- Fully remote with a preference for Chicago, D.C., or Raleigh.
- Flexible work hours with company-wide "BallotReady Standard Time" (1 p.m. to 5 p.m. EST Monday through Friday).
Equal Opportunity Employer:
BallotReady is an equal opportunity employer and we value having staff who reflect the diversity of all constituents and voters. We especially encourage people of color, LGBTQIA+ people, transgender and gender non-conforming people, and people with disabilities to apply for this role. We know that the more we live out our commitment to building a diverse and inclusive team, the better our work will be.